Thursday, November 10, 2016

10 Missionary Reflections On the 2016 American Election

The outcome of the United States of America 2016 election  was far from what I wished for but not far from what I expected.   Both of the leading parties gave the voters options which I considered evil.   I do some long drives across the American plains, and those long quiet moments give me time to pray, reflect, and prepare for what missionary options may come.    America has been blessed by abundant natural resources, good infra-structure,and a resilient people.   Those blessings should be nurtured.  


Missionaries for thousands of years have sought to be good citizens while living in nation-states governed by less than ideal leaders.   We must do that in America during this season of history.   I'm thankful that in this posting of mine I was able to vote.  Yet, even in locations where I can't vote I must seek to live in community.   Here's my best attempt to make sense of the 2016 election:

1. November 9 was a planned and expected day of grief for me. I voted in clean conscience. If one analyses my ballot it could look nuts. At one point I went 3rd party. I crossed a partisan line. I abstained. I was pro-life and pro-immigrant. I was better read on voting than I've ever been in my life. Some I voted for won. Some lost. I am at peace with me, but troubled at the lack of shared virtue in the current American experience. From grief comes resolve. America is a great nation. We are called here as missionaries. We will remain until God calls us to a new posting.

Our family homeless days in 2013
2. I empathize with Trump voters. I'm an old white poor male. I see almost no hope in any system for my family to come out of poverty. When I count my hours of daily labor they are usually 9 to 14 long. The elites in my profession have screwed me. They are arrogant and manipulative. My ideas, people, and work ethics are better than theirs. I'm frustrated too.

3. Keep laughing.   When I watched the election results Tuesday evening into Wednesday morning with my son we laughed frequently. I saw tears from some, but the systems crying I consider evil. Taking of life no matter what stage of biological development is abhorrent to me. I also laughed at how disconnected the elites are from the ordinary people. The science of polls missed this one big time.

4. America hates corruption, conflicts of interest, and lies. We'll tolerate a lot but profiteering from public service is repulsive.

5. Those with whom I disagree are my neighbors and decent people.   On my run Wednesday morning I wondered what would happen to all the election signs. I didn't want trash in my neighborhood. A Republican volunteer was picking up the signs. I stopped and helped him. I'm sure I voted a little different than he, but he's my neighbor and a decent man.   

6. Being a good neighbor means life sometimes stinks.   There's been a dead skunk in the middle of
the street a block from my house for a couple days. I couldn't stomach its smell nor driving by anymore. I buried the skunk. I'm going out of my way to be a good neighbor.

7. Wining  and losing with grace matters.   My favorite Trump supporter called me Wednesday morning and didn't gloat. I'm thankful I've followed him my whole life. He's at peace and I trust his judgement. He voted his conscience. He couldn't vote for a party that takes the life of the unborn. He's got adopted kids and grandchildren.   He made a tough choice believing in his family's values. He's fed up with elites who don't listen and told me stories that are local. He's worked for men like Trump before and its paid the bills. He knows people working long hours who can't pay all their bills. Maybe, he sees something I don't? 

8. With the House, Senate, and Presidency controlled by those in theory who are pro-life maybe 2 Supreme Court justices who are pro-life will be added. Roe vs. Wade is a tremendous evil. Maybe, we will see that evil changed in this season of history?

9. The American Evangelical Church has been discredited by this election.    I believe the Church is full of syncretism and nominalism.   The critics are right. This election has tainted the church in both unbelievers eyes and in young Christians appraisal of the older generation's integrity.   I kept thinking I was watching Saturday Night Live skits as evangelicals made political endorsements.   It may take generations to undo the damage to the Church by many evangelicals in this election cycle.  There are still deep systematic evils of race, prejudice, and poverty in the American Church. They seem to be getting worse. Maybe, now is not the season for them to be resolved by legal policies? Maybe now is the season for the church to lead in resolving these deep generational sins.     Now is the season for the church to go far beyond the call of duty. 
.  

10. Some of my closest friends are immigrants, people of color, and young. Honestly, some are quite freaked out. Yet, the wisest Ugandan woman in America I know told me today she would not be afraid. I trust her and will follow her leadership. Will you too?

No comments:

Post a Comment